Personally, coming off the bread into the gluten free world has been rather a strain. For a while there it took some time getting used to the change in … well, my whole eating regime really. One of the things I’ve missed the most is a lovely piece of toast in the morning, with runny butter and jam.
If this sounds like you … why not try this recipe. It’s using Buckwheat Flour (my personal favorite), is quick and easy … and for me, sad though it may sound, it satisfies that gap I have in my life when I want something other than fruit or porridge.
Delicious Buckwheat Flour Pancakes
What you will need:
- 1 Organic Free Range Egg
- 1 Cup of Goats Milk (easier to digest than cows milk)
- 1 Cup Buckwheat Flour (Organic if you can find it)
- 1 teaspoon Organic Baking Powder
- Coconut Oil or Organic Butter
- Raspberry Jam with No Added Sugar, No Preservatives, Flavourings or Colours (St Dalfour is a lovely make if you don’t make your own.)
- 1 tablespoon honey or coconut palm sugar (optional)
How to make it:
- Break your egg into a small bowl.
- Add milk to the egg and whisk together (add the honey now if using).
- Add the Buckwheat and Baking Powder together first (add the coconut palm sugar now if using) and then add it slowly to the egg milk mixture, whisking out any lumps until smooth.
- Take a slap of coconut oil or butter and rub it thinly onto the base of the pan, and then heat until fairly hot. Really, I mean rub it thinly – too much will alter the texture of the pancake; and only rub it once at the beginning, not every time you cook a pancake.
- Take a very large tablespoon of the pancake mixture and pour into the hot pan. Watch over it. When the mixture bubbles on the top turn and cook the other side.
- Rub some butter on the surface of the pancake (I suggest this to limit the amount of butter, so add it thickly if you prefer, obviously) and add the jam.
Voila … you have a wonderful replacement for toast … It’s just as tasty I promise!
© 2012 — Liz Shewan.
www.lizvenus.com — All rights reserved.
Take a look at Liz’s photographs here.
- Van’s Gluten Free Pancakes, Waffles and French Toast Review and Giveaway (glutenfreerecipebox.com)
- Buckwheat: The New Baking Star (thekitchn.com)
- Gluten Attacks the Brain & Damages the Nervous System. ~ Sarka-Jonae Miller (elephantjournal.com)
- Blueberry Pancakes (xbakelikeabee.wordpress.com)
- Soaked Gluten-Free Waffles (grainmillwagon.com)
Please feel free to share Liz Shewan articles with your friends, social networks, newsgroups, and websites. Word of mouth has helped Liz Shewan’s work reach many people. Thank You.